Sunday, December 25, 2005

MY MIND IS MUSH

This should be the time of year to catch up on all my reading. Its not as if I don't have a great selection of new books to pick from.

"The Artist's Widow" by Shena Mackay
"Convent Girls" edited by Jackie Bennett and Rosemary Forgan
"The Captive Wife" by Fiona Kidman
"The Geometry of Desire" by Linda Niccol

Curiously though I'm reading "He-who-shall-not-be-named"s copies of "What Not to Drive" by Richard Hammond and "I Know You Got Soul" by Jeremy Clarkson. Bloke books! Bloke books about cars for goodness sake. But they have pictures and I don't have to even pretend to retain anything longer than the time it takes to turn a page. It matters not one iota that have no idea what they're talking about. Who seriously is ever going to ask me anything about torque (cake??) and turbos or expect me to have an opinion on the latest Mazda when I don't even know how to drive.

Instead I get to wear the 'Woman Reading a Book' disguise guaranteed to protect me from any
well intentioned attempts to include me in any activity that might mean moving my bottom from the comfort of the couch. My mind is mush and I am reduced to reading the adult equivalent of comics. Words of more than two syllables are banned. But hey, I'm reading for goodness sake! Don't disturb me!

And given that I have apparently left all powers of concentration in the top drawer of my desk at the office this newfound preoccupation with picture books is a good thing. I don't have to beat myself up for not being able to comprehend the politics of modifying our "Hate-Speech" laws or draw any insights from the essay on Ansel Adams life works in my latest copy of the Listener. No, I get to read the bitchy (and I say that in a good way!) little article by Denis Welch, "The Lying, The Rich & the Wardrobe Malfunction", summing up the political/public highs and lows of 2005 here in NZ which he helpfully wrote in very short little information-bytes.

My favourite excerpt:
"If Jesus came back today ...
Obviously he'd have to apply for refugee status; the SIS would run a thorough check on him. Any kind of rabble-rousing activity in the past would not be a good look. Overturning money-changer's tables is a federal offence in some countries. Stigmata would be considered potentially infectious, so at the very least you're talking about a long spell in quarantine - but frankly, a rootless religious activist of Middle Eastern appearance? Give me a break."

Yes, I could follow that. I think perhaps Denis was suffering a similar attack of Yuletide Indigestion as myself. Do you think he'd just finished watching "Elf" too?

Now I think I will go read the TV Guide. It has pictures. I could perhaps tuck it inside my copy of War & Peace. People will be impressed!

1 Comments:

Blogger altar ego said...

Hello Doll! You must tell me how to do the counter! I don't seem to invite comments on my posts, and I despair that no one visits so I am tempted to yank the blog entirely. Before I do that, though, I think it would help to have a little data to assist in such a decision, LOL. Glad you are well stocked with reading material. One of these days, when I can find things on my desk again (which can only be accomplished by some serious decluttering) perhaps my mind will be free enough to handle reading again, too! Well, enough of my ramble. Hope you have a good sleep and enjoy your day tomorrow NOT WORKING!!!! xoxo

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home