Tuesday, January 03, 2006

HAPPY NEW YEAR!



I seem to have been distracted lately with cleaning. Happens every January in The World of the Madcow usually starting on New Years Eve. Cupboards must be cleaned out, walls washed, ovens cleaned. What a waste of time. Come the next January it all needs doing again. I should instead stick to Quentin Crisps' idea that the dirt doesn't get any worse after the first four years. Instead every year without fail, I imagine that I will somehow evolve into Martha Stewart (without the jail time) and my flat will feature in the next copy of House & Garden. I buy new rubber gloves and a bottle of Jif and all reason goes out the door.

I was at one time a Domestic Goddess. It was not long after "he who shall not be named" was born and for several months there was not a surface in the house (including the child) that wasn't scrubbed within an inch of its life on a daily basis. I blame hormones myself or sleep deprivation. Happily I soon tired of it and instead tried to pacify my mother by assuring her that I was in fact giving the child a natural immunity to every disease known to mankind by letting it fester in our own personal rubbish tip. Its done him no harm and I'm sure the scars will fade in time!

Like then, I am now "over" cleaning. I tried it for three days, didn't like it and won't do it again for a while. And as for being a Domestic Goddess I am once again reminded of Mr Crisp:
" If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

So instead of the House & Garden feature why not enjoy this shot of the Pohutukawa blooms which we are enjoying at the moment - our own Christmas Tree.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pam in Moncton said...

Beautiful pictures! You have such interesting plants and birds to show. Someday I must get there myself and see them in person. I'm a bit like you on the cleaning thing. I think I like the big cleaning/organising projects much more than the day to day stuff that really doesn't look like you've done anything. I liked scrubbing out the cupboards in the fall, but I don't want to do it again for a while! I also agree on the immunity thing - I think you've got something there. Many houses are too clean and everyone gets sick in them!
Pam

4:04 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Hi Clare...
What gorgeous flowers. I'm with you on the cleaning too. I hate, hate, hate it. I think a big part of it is that I know I can't stay organized (it's not in my blood) so why even bother with any of it. I like to blame dh for most of the clutter, but it's not him (mostly). Don't tell him I said that! I don't know why things can't just stay that way once you clean them. You should only have to do it one time.
Have a good night.
Maria

4:46 AM  
Blogger altar ego said...

It's a fact of a princess's life that too much cleaning isn't good for the tiara, so you are following proper ettiquette not to overdo. Those early years were important training (after all, eventually the role of cleaner would need to be delegated!), and you are now rewarded with the penchant for not doing! Hurray for you! Whatever happened to your maid, btw?

5:12 AM  
Blogger katie said...

By the way Miss Clare---on our side of the big pond--Jif is PEANUT BUTTER....
If I remember correctly you were going to SCRAP during this time off....now have you done any of that????

Yes, I am scolding you, but oh with so much love.....Somebody in my like needs to scrapbook....I, have no time....and Jennifer keeps having sick kids...Now the eldest boy is sick....I think I'll stay on my side of the street....but I also think I must have an immunity---am around all those germs all the time anyway.
Have a happy day/evening...The sun is out, so that must mean it's time for me to go nite-nite.
katie

8:59 AM  
Blogger Kip said...

I love those blooms!!!! I'm with you on the cleaning bit..that's why I have a cleaning lady come in..I'm not wasting my time anymore on that trivia, lol!

6:27 PM  
Blogger madcow said...

Katie - choking with laughter here! Jif = peanut butter??? I can see if I ever make it to the States I am going to need a "minder" in the grocery store!! LOL

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home