Friday, December 30, 2005

OK So I Hate Cooking


but I do love reading recipe books! Dammit, I love food so why not!

One of our big supermarket chains puts out an occasional glossy food mag and I couldn't resist the Christmas edition when I was standing in the queue the other day. One of the features is is "You Asked For It" - if you taste something you love when you're out and want the recipe they contact the restaurant and beg for a copy. I loved the idea of these little bread pots (continuing the earlier theme of my gf's potted Christmas Cakes). Wouldn't they be cute if you've got friends over for a soup & bread lunch or something!

So with thanks to Foodtown Magazine & "The Bach" in Maraetai:

POT LOAVES
Bake in terracotta flower pots

6 cups flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
5 teaspoons active yeast granules
3 cups warm water, 30-35C
garlic-flavoured oil

Place the flour, sugar & salt into large warm bowl of a food mixer. Mix on slow speed to combine.
Dissolve the yeast in the water. When starting to froth, add to the dry ingredients to form a ball. Check the consistency. If it is too firm, add more water. Mix on slow speed until a dough forms. Then mix on medium speed for 10 minutes until smooth & glossy.
Cover the dough with plastic film. Rest for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch the dough down until it is firm again then take of the bowl and divide into four balls.
Grease four terracotta flower pots & place the dough in them. Stand the pots in a warm place, until the dough has doubled in size.
Meanwhile preheat the over to 190C.
Bake the loaves for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Brush the tops with a lttle garlic oil while still hot.
(They suggest serving them with a selection of dips - smoked salmon and cream cheese, sundried tomato & feta, basil pesto.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

I definately need to copy down this receipe. Cause guess what I got for Xmas? One of the gifts from my mom was little individual muffin pots just like these but they have a design on them! I kept thinking muffins, but bread would work great too! Thanks!
Maria
P.S. Hope you are enjoying your peace and quiet holiday!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Ruth.E said...

I am going to make that recipe and try wheat free of course. What fun! Thanks.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home