Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Thanks to Kip "2005 - A Year in Review"

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before? Went up the Sky Tower and had dinner in the restaurant … I do not like heights, I do not like heights, I do not like REVOLVING heights… the only saving grace was the company!

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? To save time I decided on some resolutions many years ago and just recycle them every January. In another effort to save time I make no attempt whatsoever to ever achieve them. So just so you know this year I will NOT lose weight, save money, keep my house clean or be a better person.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, I became Great Aunt Madcow on Christmas Eve with the birth of little Khyler.

4. Did anyone close to you die? A woman I worked with, who I believed could have become one of our great leaders, died and I still feel cheated and angry that she is gone.

5. What countries did you visit? Overseas? Does flying over the Cook Straight count? Still working on the “why leave home until you’ve seen the country” premise … at least that’s what I tell myself. A win in Lotto will change this immediately!

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? Financial security and the freedom to leave Auckland.

7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I’m afraid the days just seem to dribble one into another … perhaps “he who shall not be named” turning 21. Given some of the things from our past I’m still amazed we made it!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Standing up for myself in a particularly spiteful confrontation and realizing at the end of it that I was really free of the worst aspects of my past. 2005 was the year to realize I was no better or worse than anyone else. I was just me.

9. What was your biggest failure? Not being more outspoken defending my friends when they were attacked … I hope Kip and Jules know that.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Concussion from hitting my head on my scrapdesk … who said scrapping wasn’t a blood sport!

11. What was the best thing you bought? Food, I love food! LOL

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My friends – their tenacity and their joy in living each day.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Bush … enough said, Brasch – I’m sure he tucks his shirt into his underpants, a few Bureaucrats who have not only confirmed my cynicism but sunk to new depths in their attempts at self aggrandizement, and several little vegetables on the CKMB whose bullying/jealousy towards others demeans us all as women.

14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage, rates, electricity … wish I hadn’t answered this one … just too depressing when you look at it.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Prenzels’ Vinaigrette with Avacado, Joe Rokocoko’s legs, my first sari, Kevin Spacey, Khyler, the new washing line at the farm ….

16. What song will always remind you of 2005? I get knocked down (But I get up againYou're never going to keep me down) by Chumbawamba – old song but it sums up last year on so many levels.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder? Happier!
ii. thinner or fatter?
Fatter!
iii. richer or poorer?
Probably the same.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Taken more risks, laughed more, worried less!

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worry!

20. How will you be spending Christmas? Its past now but … brunch with mum then crap movies on sky while reclining on the couch sipping chardonnay!

22. Did you fall in love in 2005? No

23. How many one-night stands? Don’t be silly!

24. What was your favorite TV program? House, Early Doors & Jiminy Glick

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Hate is a waste of emotion - I think there are enough spiteful little trolls in the world already without me adding anything to that little pool of venom.

26. What was the best book you read? Nothing stands out – I enjoyed them all. I keep going back to my battered little copy of WB Yeats Selected Poetry though, keep Geoff Moon’s Field Guide to NZ Birds always close to hand and get in a panic if the Concise Oxford is hiding from me!

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Donovon Frankenreiter, Amy Winehouse, Ben Harper & the Blind Boys of Alabama

28. What did you want and get?
Love & self respect!

30. What was your favorite film of this year? My Architect and the other night I really enjoyed The Station Agent.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? On holiday at the farm. My gf gave me yellow irises from the garden, himself played happy birthday on the bagpipes and we saw My Architect at the movies in town. I was 47.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Possibly a relationship … not sure.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? “Its clean and it fits … nearly!”

34. What kept you sane? Friends and the ability not to take anything too seriously, especially myself!

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? If I was to have a girly crush it would have to be Kevin Spacey and I really don’t want to hear any speculation on his sexuality/status/anything else…he’s my fantasy man and I don’t give a fig.

36. What political issue stirred you the most? The National party’s election campaign and the apparent apathy from some voters that we could lose our Nuclear Free policies and that many families in NZ lead lives comparable with those in Third World countries.

37. Who did you miss?
My gf down south.

38. Who was the best new person (people) you met? Every day has been a surprise

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005: Its never too late!

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: Bic Runga – Listening for the Weather

"I've been doing what I'm told
I've been busy growing old
And the days are getting cold but that's alright with me

Sunlight sends you on your way
And those restless thoughts that cling to yesterday
Never be afraid of change"

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth.E said...

Dearest Clare, your thoughts are funny, clever and introspective. I love this idea. Must do one for myself. I do believe this is one for the book (BOM that is). Thanks for sharing your year in review.

7:18 PM  
Blogger katie said...

WOW!!!!!
Love you answer to the fashion ??
Are you sure we're not related, after all I was born on an island---Bermuda, that is.
It is 0020 here, and I am just getting awake, took FOREVER to get to sleep today.
Have you finished housecleanning so that you can SCRAP??
Talk to you soonm May see you on the EBs later, if I'm not busy otherwise.
katie

12:25 AM  
Blogger JulesinParadise said...

Darling Clare, loved reading your insights

You are a true MerMaid!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Kip said...

Oh, I love you so!! I loved your answers, so well thought out and in some cases, so funny!! I too, love that Spacey and I was going to say something about him but....I won't, lol!! He is a wonderful actor! We have so much in common my friend even though we're continents away from each other and I'm sooooooooo glad I met you. Don't you even think about the "standing up" thing...you did just fine!

xxoo,
Kip

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home