Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Shoes, shoes, shoes ...

my name is Madcow and I am a shoe addict.

Well I was before I became a woman in my prime. Suddenly those little size 36 (US 6) suddenly wanted room to move, didn't like heels and discovered those unmentionable things ... bunions...ewwwwww! Then don't even go near that whole fat ankle situation.

Years, literally, sloping through all the malls trying to find the perfect shoe. By "perfect" we are talking anything that a woman in her prime can actually keep on her feet longer than 15 minutes without wondering outloud if the staple remover on the desk would be strong enough to amputate her toes. By "perfect" we mean something that might just, in a flattering light, look a little more elegant than her old Cherry Doc Martens in the closet. "Perfect" means anything you put on your foot that doesn't cause your foot, calve, thigh to suddenly collapse into spasms of cramp. Dream on.

Until of course today. Leonie heard an ad on the radio saying if you wanted comfortable shoes come to ... and then she kind of lost it. Radio ads are like that. Slippery bastards. But she persevered and finally caught the magic words "Royal Oak" and began sleuthing. Suddenly all roads led to "Aiden Footwear & Accessories". Nothing could stop us not even the police road blocks on Great South Road, a non-existant sense of direction or a road map that somehow didn't seem to include "Campbell Road". Well, ok so it did really but my thumb was on it at the time.

Needless to say we found paradise. Riekers, Viola, Stegmann, Vyn-tage ... and someone who actually wanted to sell us shoes! Not one "sigh" from our new best friend (who I am ashamed to say neither of us asked his name) as we spent over an hour trying on shoes. Instead someone who said "if you pick up shoes that will hurt your feet I'll just tell you to put them back down again". Someone who knew his product and how to sell it. Someone who sold six pairs of shoes between us ... and then referred us on to his wife's handbag shop downstairs! Oh we are in so much trouble!!

OMG! I just love Royal Oak Mall. Yes it's small. Yes it doesn't have all the whistles and stops of the big flash poncey malls ... but my, my, my does it have things I want to buy! I stopped at shoes but did do a bit of .. ok a big bit of ... shopping for the Madcow Mother. Found a little shop there called Black Pepper and spent about a weeks rent on some gorgeous summer outfits for her. More of that later when she's tried them all on but enough to say she has forgiven me for spending her money for her!





But just so you remember that Leonie & I aren't totally shoe snobs here are our best matching sloppers/slippers that she bought us last week
We're not really sure what it says on front .. probably "Sad Old Cows" but we don't mind really!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home