Monday, May 15, 2006

Belated happy birthdays, mothers day...yeah,yeah,yeah

At the Madcow office we have two little challenges going.

The first is the "No Swear" challenge (but given one of our roles is to "swear" affidavits that's a little silly isn't it!). I must admit I am one of the worst offenders - Little Miss Potty Mouth that's me. We all agreed to clean up our act and now it's 50cents per profanity into the jar, which given what usually comes out of my mouth & that of the managers should pay for our Christmas "do"! In the space of two minutes we both owed the jar a total of $6 and that was when we were both in good moods! What does surprise me (not) how many more words I know than those young things floating around me. While trying to determine whether "shite" and other derivatives should be included I was surprised, no shocked, that the young things could only come up with four words that would be chargeable. I meanwhile had a list that went on for pages. They're obviously not angry enough. I'll post my weekly balance - I'd like to think that with effort I will be paying less than my pay cheque.

Our second language challenge is to celebrate and acknowledge the many ethnicities both in our office and at our counter. Day One is your very own lesson in Te Reo Maori thanks to Terewaho.

Good Morning... Atamarie

Good Afternoon... Ahiahi marie

Good night...Pomarie

How are you? ..... Kei te pehea koe?

My name is .... Ko ...................toku ingoa

Are you alright... Kei te pai koe?

And if you're looking for how to actually say these words you may like to check out the link over to the right of this for Korero Maori

Tomorrow we are going to visit "Tonga" together but right now I'm off to watch one of my favourite, favourite films - "Shaun of the Dead". A must see, trust me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo in NZ said...

Ka pai to mahi e wahine ma.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Kip said...

fu cki puki....I'm making my own language...can it be included on your list????

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home