Monday, April 24, 2006

ANZAC Day


Col. Malone's last letter to his wife - 5th August 1915. He died on Chunuk Bair 8 August 1915.

"My SweetheartIn less than two hours we move off to a valley, where we will be up all night and tomorrow in readiness for a big attack which will start from tomorrow night. Everything promises well and victory should rest with us. God grant it so and that our casualties will not be too heavy. I expect to go through all right but my dear wife if anything untoward happens to me there are our dear children to be brought up. You know how I love and have loved you, and we have had many years of great happiness together. If at anytime in the past I seemed absorbed in "affairs", it was that I might make proper provision for you and the children.
That was due from me. It is true perhaps that I overdid it somewhat. I believe now that I did, but did not see it at the time. I regret very much now that it was so and that I lost more happiness that I need have done. You must forgive me; forgive also anything unkindly or hard that I may have said or done in the past. I have made a will and it is in the office in Stratford. I think it was justly drawn. Anyway I intended it to so to be. I hope and think that the provision for you and the children will keep you and them in ease and comfort.
"I know you will never forget or let the dear children do so. I am prepared for death and hope that God will have forgiven me all my sins. My desire for life - so that I may see and be with you again - could not be greater but I have only done what every man was bound to do in our country's need. It has been a great consolation to me that you approved my action; the sacrifice was really yours. May you be consoled and rewarded by our dear Lord." Your loving husband, Wm G Malone."

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruth.E said...

I was thinking of you as I believe I will on every ANZAC day. A very fitting letter and it doesn't hurt to read between the lines. Life is too short and we should not put of sharing our love for others until 'later' in case it never comes. Thanks for that, I needed it.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home