Friday, May 05, 2006

The weekend ... finally!

The trouble with going on holiday is that you eventually have to go back to work, and this has been just the longest week. Seems so unfair. It's not the work itself so much - my desk seemed pretty much under control by Friday - but more the rapid descent back into all the politics and that feeling of being vaguely pissed off all the time.

Not that it's something I can claim as my own. I think it's a universal truth that where ever you work there will be a gazillion hidden agendas that have very little to do with the job you are meant to be doing and a lot to do with some peoples perverse sense of ego, but just give me a break. I just know that one day I'm going to lose it and stand up and scream "OK, so I'm a white, middleclass, middleaged woman - nothing I can do will ever change that fact so GET OVER IT!"

I try not to remind myself that there are still 17 years to go before I can get a pension (working on the idea that there actually will still be a government superannuation scheme in 2023!) and instead focus on the achievable time frames like, only 3 more hours until 5pm, or only 2 more days until the weekend ... there must be a better way!

Of course there are the "pearl" moments in my day that make up for the crap & Geeta is one of those pearls. We went for dinner last night at her new home and I'm happy to say that "Weight Watchers" is not a phrase that has ever made its way into her recipe book. She tells me that chinese food is very popular in India but with a minute Chinese population it is mostly cooked by Indians which could explain the (deliciously) spicy noodles etc. After devouring my all time favourite pre-dinner snacks of samosas & Star Gatthia with dipping sauces, then a feast of noodles, rice & chicken, we were cemented to the couch like a couple of stuck pigs. But no! There's more!

Galub Jamun (deep fried milkballs with sweet sauce) & Soan Papdi .... oh my god & goddesses. We thought we had died and gone to some sort of sugar heaven. Run RUN to the supermarket and find these! Now my sister Geeta recommends the Haldirum brand and I believe everything my sister Geeta tells me especially after shoving enough of these two little wonders down my gob to put me into a coma. Here's a link especially for you Gail (and everyone else but I know Gail is my fellow Indian cuisine addict!) because you just have to try these . (The Galub Jamun comes in a can and you just warm them a little in the microwave)

We finally managed to extricate ourselves from the sofa and make our way home & to bed, where I dreamt sweet sugary dreams. I love you Geeta (and I am not eating another thing all weekend I promise!!)

Gail - I checked the shipping charges on the site & it says free shipping in the US with only a $3 surcharge on orders under $30!! Could be the answer!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shar said...

Clare,
I haven't posted on your blog before though I have visited occasionally. I love reading your writing. You have a wonderful way. :) Your feast sounds positively devine.

....and I must say, your lament about office politics is oh so right on the money, girlfriend. So glad I don't have that to deal with anymore. Hugs to you till the next weekend peeks out it's smiling face and says hello.

HUGS
Shar :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Ruth.E said...

never have I thought what the year would actually be when I retire - what a dreadful thought. I like you, do the achievable one more hour to go! Work - a necessary evil.
Ruth

4:19 AM  
Blogger JulesinParadise said...

Morning MerMaid THBB...the food looks divine. Wish I could have been there to have some. Have been missing you madly. Hope we can connect sometime this weekend. I'm taking Minnie with me to the kids so should be on and off the web. Love and smoochies, Jules

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home