Saturday, June 03, 2006

6am rambling

With nothing better to do (well, nothing I wanted to do) I've been surfing SKY looking for a movie and I have to tell you there's not a lot on at this time of the morning. My choices appear to be "Guns for San Sebastian" in all it's faded glory with Anthony Quinn dressed as a monk, a documentary on the Holocaust which is probably good but seems a rather bleak way to start the day, or having to endure Tom Hanks (ugh) playing Tom Hanks (ugh) in The Green Mile.

Still none of these could be any worse than "De-Lovely" that I saw the other night. De-Lovely? More like De-Crap. I should have known better. It starred Kevin Kline afterall.

Mr K is not a man blessed with a huge acting talent is he?

His emotional range appears to be
angry, sad, happy.

Oh yeah he runs the gamut doesn't he. I think what really tipped me over the edge though was an interview with him I saw recently where he added sneering condecension to his range. What a guy.

Still it WAS Cole Porter and so I tried but oh deary me. If I was looking for any insight into the mans life I should have read a book, phoned a friend or perhaps we could have all joined hands and tried to contact the living. What a poor excuse for a script, a film, a reason to eat popcorn.

The only saving grace was the soundtrack but then with Cole Porter how could you lose? I ended up going out to the kitchen to do the dishes & just came back into the room when I heard the music start up again. With Elvis Costello, Diana Krall, Mick Hucknell (yes, even Mick was good) amongst others it was a feast. The big surprise to me was Let's Do It, (Let's Fall In Love) by Alanis Morisette - I think I might have liked it!

Of course nothing ever compares to my old bit of vinyl "Red, Hot & Blue", the Cole Porter tribute album in support of AIDS research. When you hear Annie Lennox sing "Everytime we say Goodbye" can you ever get her version out of your head? Oh shit. Now I'm either going to have to find this album on CD or invest in a new turntable. (Given the amount of vinyl now laying waste in the bookshelf here perhaps that would be a good idea).

It's gone 6.30 now and the next lot of movies are beginning. Off to see what I can find or (perish the thought) I could actually go get dressed and do some work .... mmm ... nah.

2 Comments:

Blogger altar ego said...

I'm not familiar with some of the musical versions to which you refer, but I've got another one for you that I wish you could hear. Kacey Jones, country music (sort of) comedienne (and former lead singer of the group Ethel and the Shameless Hussies), does a fabulous rendition of "somewhere over the rainbow," which ordinarily doesn't even get a twitch of the nose from me. But when I heard her perform it it was worthy of a listen. As for Mr. Kline...

1:05 PM  
Blogger JulesinParadise said...

Morning darling...hope you can get some rest soon. I agree with you and Anne about the Mr. K!

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home