Friday, January 27, 2006

Insomnia


Who would think sleeping would be so difficult. Let's face it you don't have to expend a lot of energy, no special shoes to buy and the "uniform" is optional. For goodness sake you don't even have to be upright. You just have to lie there, think of nothing and "PING" the sleep fairy arrives and waves her magic wand. All I can say is that bitch of a fairy must have a wonderful social life at the moment because she hasn't been visiting my house for a while. Either that or she's had a better job offer.

A friend told me that when she can't sleep she redesigns her house in her head, adding another floor & staircases to it. She insists she's never got further than the first bedroom and ensuite before she nods off.

I prefer making lists, some of which are too rude to share here. My mother might read them afterall and think badly of me. Oh, thats right, she already does.

No, no rude lists today. Just the family rated ones. "Hair colours" takes a while because lets face it the dye bottle is my friend. "Name all your cousins, their partners & children" is another one that challenges. Not that I have many cousins - I just don't have a very good memory.

Last night I decided on "Internationally Famous New Zealanders or Inventions". I only had a "bit" of insomnia and thought it wouldn't take long.

1/. Sir Edmund Hillary
2/. Dame Kiri Te Kanawa (I didn't have to actually LIKE them)
3/. Peter Jackson
4/. Sam Neil
5/. Peter Snell
6/. Neil Finn
7/. Andrew Adamson
8/. John Britten
9/. Sir Ernest Rutherford
10/. Sir Archie McIndoe
11/. Janet Frame
12/. Dr John Money (now there's one we all wish was Australian)
13/. The Hamilton Jet
14/. AJ Hackett
15/. Jean Batten

At this stage I gave up trying to decide if Ettie Rout was (a) internationally famous & (b) really a New Zealander. I had also given Russell Crowe Australian citizenship (god knows, they're welcome to him) and refused to debate the big Pavlova question. I woke up at 9.00am this morning so I guess I just bored myself to sleep.

Now boredom is not something to be suffered alone. I insist you all join me in a spot of mind-numbing.

For those of you not of a New Zealand persuasion, name what the "15" are famous for (or as many as you can) without resorting to "Google" or "phone a friend". (Oh, alright then, they are a bit obscure and you can look them up if you want to.) For any New Zealanders - name 15 more!

There will be prizes for the "first" and the most "entertaining" responses.

Happy Saturday!
(Image: Waikeremoana 1960's)

3 Comments:

Blogger :Jayne said...

1/. Sir Edmund Hillary Okay he climbed to some high peak or cold place. I have a tent with his name on it.
2/. Dame Kiri Te Kanawa (I didn't have to actually LIKE them) NZ's most famous hooker
3/. Peter Jackson-Micheal Jackson's brother hiding in NZ in embarrasment
4/. Sam Neil-Playwright
5/. Peter Snell-Of Peter, Paul & Mary fame
6/. Neil Finn-Famous Boat Captain
7/. Andrew Adamson-Explorer
8/. John Britten-Author
9/. Sir Ernest Rutherford-Philanthroplogist
10/. Sir Archie McIndoe-taught tennis
11/. Janet Frame-Doctor of Anthropology
12/. Dr John Money (now there's one we all wish was Australian)invented the modern flush handled toilet
13/. The Hamilton Jet-first jet to take off and land in NZ
14/. AJ Hackett-comedian
15/. Jean Batten-Sea Explorer

Sorry Claire, I know nothing about NZ.

:Jayne (Tarzan's Monkey_

7:29 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

not even gonna try! but i am amused at how you overcome insomnia! all i usually have to do is start counting backwards from 100 . . . i know, simple mind!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Ruth.E said...

good lord I dont even know who John Money is but if you say he is not kiwi, I guess we will take another NZ reject. You toss all the bad ones and some of the good ones over the Tasman. I shall consider our best exports shortly - fifteen hey oh well we claim Nicole Kidman and Kate Blanchett so I am on a roll already along with good old Mel. So far not sleepy.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home