Friday, June 16, 2006

Blog Freeze

You know those days where you wish you had something profound to blog, or at the least something marginally interesting, but there just ain't nothing there? Today it's one of those. Doesn't help that I've been visiting over at Anne's blog where she has written the most thought provoking/touching post I've read in a long time that several hours later I am still mulling over. Marigolds will forever now be "Anne" to me.

No, here at Madcow, we're into shallow & inane and in that spirit I give you the Lamington. I was going to say it was a little bit of Kiwi-ana but of course these came from Australia so perhaps we'll have to compromise and say they are Antipodean as I'm sure our consumption of these delights matches our Oz cuzzies.

This from Wikipedia: "Lamingtons are a type of sponge cake (or more traditionally, butter cake) squares, coated in a layer of flavoured gelatin (or traditionally chocolate icing or strawberry jam), then desiccated coconut. They are sometimes served as two halves with a layer of cream between them, and are commonly found in Australian and New Zealand bakeries. The strawberry variety is more common in New Zealand, while sightings of a lemon variety have occurred in Australia.
The gelatin is a thin mixture, into which squares of sponge (one cookbook
states 4 cm per side) are dipped, and the gelatin is absorbed into the outermost layers of the sponge where it sets. (Similarly, the strawberry jam or chocolate icing is absorbed into the sponge.) The squares are then dipped into the coconut and left to dry."

And this from He Who Shall Not Be Named: "Leave my Lamington alone! I've only had eight!"

(Holy Cross School had a Pizza Drive this week but bugger the pizza when you can buy a tray of these beauties. Of course I have eaten none of them ... wiping coconut from the mouth...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruth.E said...

LOL, he had only had eight. All that coconut gets stuck in my teeth (but its worth it!)

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home